Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Our Last Camping Trip of the Season {and the Bear that Ate My Steak}

We spent Labor Day Weekend at Ruedi Reservoir. This is our second year finishing off the camping season at Ruedi...I think it will be a tradition from now on. The reservoir is beautiful and surrounded by mountains and thick forest.


 
The photo below is of the campground. Our camper is hidden behind the large blue spruce trees.


The first night we were at Ruedi, our friend Sarah hosted dinner and made everyone steak. The steak was so good. I had only eaten half my steak, when I went to check on Benjamin...and never got another bite. A baby bear came out of the trees and ate my steak! I have to admit...I was pretty freaked out.


The camp host and a forest ranger came and scared away the bear with a fog horn and pepper spray. They assured us the bear wouldn't be back...yeah, right! A few hours later, the bear came back and ate our friend Stephanie's spaghetti dinner.

The next morning, Lillian woke up bright and early around 6:00am. I opened up the blinds and noticed a small black creature darting in and out of the trees. Oh, yes...the bear was back. I watched him eat jello shots out of the neighboring campsite! Eventually, the department of wildlife sent someone to catch the bear. Here are some photos of the bear hiding in the tree near our camper.


I have to admit...he's a pretty cute little bear. Unfortunately, I think the bear has eaten his last steak dinner. Poor little guy!

The rest of the weekend wasn't quite as exciting, but we still had lots of fun. Big Daddy rented a paddle board and all the kids had a great time learning how to use it.









Our neighbors brought their boat and we had fun tubing and wake boarding. Big Daddy is itching for a boat. We will see what next summer brings.


 A few of the kids in our camping group...






Benjamin spent most of his time splashing in the water and playing in the mud. He was covered from head to toe.



 Lily spent her time practicing her walking. Can you see her cute little Teva sandles? She could walk any day now...just has to get brave enough to let go.


I can't wait til next May...

No comments:

Post a Comment