Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

My Green Thumb?

I come from a long line of "green thumbs"...you know, people who have a natural ability to foster plant-life. Great-grandparents, grandparents, aunts & uncles, and parents on both sides of my family have a green thumb. My thumb is more...lemony.
Green Thumbs on my Mom's side of the family. I'm the one on the front row with the camera.
My Great-Uncle Max (pictured above on the far left) is a retired biology professor at Southwestern College in Winfield, Kansas. He is currently facilitating the campus greenhouse and working with the Kansas Orchid Society. He has a green thumb. I grew up visiting the campus greenhouse every spring and summer. I remember looking at all the beautiful flowers and jumping in all the puddles.
Ruth Warren Abbot Greenhouse
Last spring, my family and I visited the campus greenhouse. It had been many years since I was there. My Uncle Max gave us a tour of the different greenhouses. Jackson was very interested in the plants...wanting to learn the different names. Benjamin was very interested in the puddles...he loves to jump in puddles! I fell in love with the orchids. My Uncle Max has created several hybrid orchids and named them after his parents and siblings. I was lucky enough to get Phalaenopsis Zuma Rascal "Gaillard". This orchid is named after my grandpa.
I have had "Rascal Gaillard" for one year and it seems to like it here in Colorado despite the lack of humidity. It has grown one new leaf and has three new blooms.
Although I have been successful with this orchid, some of the other plants in my house have not been so lucky. I still don't think I have a green thumb, but maybe it's a little more green than I think...maybe lemon-lime?

No comments:

Post a Comment