Pages

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Quick Fix Camera Strap

The instructor for my photography class suggested we take off our camera strap...which was good advice. It was causing me a lot of problems. I didn't like wearing it all the time and if I let it dangle it would swing into the photo. So...I took off the strap and was happy with the decision until our first camping trip.

We were getting ready for a long hike and I wanted to take my camera until I realized I took the strap off and had no way to carry it. I had the strap, but didn't have an extra time to mess with restringing the camera strap...so I didn't take my camera.

A couple of days later, Bennie and I went to the zoo. I grabbed my camera bag and headed out the door. As we were getting out of the car at the zoo, I realized I hadn't attached the camera strap at home and Benjamin didn't want to hang out in the car while I messed around with it. Ugh! Another missed photo opportunity. Why can't attaching the strap be fast and easy?

After several Google searches, I pieced together my own quick fix project. I'm sure there are other solutions out there, but this is what worked best for me and I really like it. At B&H, I purchased one package of Adapt-It Connectors. They come in a package of four, but you only need two.

I also discovered some really awesome camera straps while at B&H from "Capturing Couture"...which I couldn't resist! It is so much nicer than the cheesy "Canon" strap that came with the camera and has a soft velvet neck lining. "Capturing Couture" has many different styles to choose from. It was hard to decide which one to get.

Then I went to Michael's and bought some clips from their jewelry department. There were several different clips to choose from. I decided on these because they rotated and would help keep my camera strap from getting twisted. 
After gathering all the supplies, I spent about 10 minutes hooking it all together and around $40. Totally worth it!
If only my other projects were this quick and inexpensive...

3 comments:

  1. Good fix! Just make sure that those metal clasps are high quality or they may snap when you least expect it. I'd hate for that camera to get a big ding in it or have your nice new lens get scratched up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think their good, but I'll have you check them over next time I see you and you can tell me what you think.

      Delete
  2. Recent numbers show that 63% of US households own a pet - that's 71.1 million homes and families with dogs, cats, iguanas, parakeets, fish, ferrets, potbellied pigs, etc, etc., Taking care of a pet is tougher than taking care of an infant, since our pets can't speak. Hence, making sure your pet is safe and happy when you leave it alone at home should be a priority for all pet owners. One of the simplest ways of watching over a pet remotely is by using some sort of webcam software like GotoCamera that is easily available online these days. Thanks to technology and some very smart people who are working on making things easier for us, you can now use your basic webcam to monitor your pets while you're away from them.

    ReplyDelete